Monday, September 19, 2011

Dyeing with GiGi

When I was visiting Gigi last winter, we dyed yarn. A lot of yarn. It was Knit Picks Bare yarn in multiple different weights and fiber contents. We used Kool-Aid and vinegar to dye the yarn and came up with a wide variety of colors. Knit Picks has a great Kool-Aid dyeing tutorial on their website. 

We also had our own preferences for color. These preferences became apparent as the yarn was drying in Gigi's bathtub.  Gigi dyed in mostly blues and greens whereas I produced mostly orange and red skeins.

Unfortunately, due to the untimely death of my computer's hard drive this summer, I have lost the tons of pictures that I took during the dyeing process.  But I can show you what one of the skeins dyed in Strawberry looks like worked up.


I knit this scarf for a friend and am happy to say that he loved the color.

Gigi and I had great deal of fun dyeing yarn and there is even talk about doing it again this winter. 

It's especially fun to do in your jammies,
Joyce

No comments: