Monday, July 18, 2011

Troy's Folly


By now most of us have heard the mythological tale of Helen and Paris and the events that started the Trojan war.  If not, Wikipedia has a rather thorough article about it.  Go, check it out, I'll wait...

(Ah, you're back.  I missed you.) 

Such a tragic story.  One of love, intrigue, and men with swords.  However, despite it's seemingly romantic nature (which I've been told is the perfect way to name a shawl) the story of Helen and Paris is not the origin of the name of this shawl.


It turns out that also filled with love, intrigue, but sadly no men with swords, is the naming of a shawl.  Often I find one that I love and fits the pattern perfectly only to go on Ravelry and discover that, alas, it is taken.  So I'm cast about on a sea of shawl namelessness (I'm pretty sure that's a real word) and forced to turn to those closest to me to help me find a suitable name.  And sometimes, I ask Hubbie....


Hubbie is a sweet man, but he cannot be trusted with the naming of a shawl.  He will most often come up with names that seems perfectly fine until after a moment  I realize that they are, in fact, quite crude. (Morning Wood is just one of the many that comes to mind.) 

If you haven't figured it out by now, Hubbie's real name is Troy. His mother chose to name him that instead of the serial killer inducing 'John Wayne.' (Thank you, Mom!)  So if you're wondering what Troy's Folly really is... It's trying to help me name shawls.



If only Troy would take me to Paris,
Joyce

PS The purple shawl is in Madeline Tosh Merino Light in Lolita.  The green one is in Knit Picks Stroll Tonal Sock in Canopy.

No comments: