Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Love and Knitting

Really, what is love? How can someone express it best? I like to knit for those I love. While I'm working on a project I often think of how much I care about the person I'm making it for and hope they will understand that it is a gift of the heart. Of course, I also find myself terrified that the person I'm knitting for will hate it. And will be nice enough to wait until I'm out of the room before disposing of it!
I admit that much of my knitting so far has been focused on myself. However, the longer I knit the more I want to knit for others. Lately, when a friend has problems (be they small or large), I find myself consumed by thoughts of what I can knit for them to let them know I care. However, I can imagine one day in the not so distant future when my friends see me knitting and one may say to each other, "Oh, honey, I didn't know your problem was "sweater" bad." Makes you wonder what sort of issues Maman's chihuahua was having.

The sweater is from Posh Pooches by Kimberly Hamlin. The little guy is barely four pounds, so I was quite surprised and pleased that it fit him.
I'm happy to say that I'm knitting my first charity project. It's a red scarf for (you guessed it!) the Red Scarf Project. I'm making Argosy (Knitty rocks!). It's a fun project, but in making it, I've realized that in order knit for charity you have to care about someone you don't know. And that, my friends, is why knitters are awesome. So many take the time out of their busy lives and limited knitting time to knit for strangers.
I'm knitting it with Lion Brand Wool-Ease so it can be machine washed. I'll post another picture when it's finished.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.